Re: system taking ages to resolve dns

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 20:29:54 +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 02:49:49PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:03:39 +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just reinstalled debian this week. It has not solved my issue of
> > > resolving dns taking a long time. Basically the issue is: If I want to
> > > access a dns such as google, or debian.org, it takes for ever to resolve
> > > the dns. Whether I'm using firefox or lynx to browse the web or msmtp to
> > > send email, the resolving of dns is over 30 seconds. If I use the ip
> > > address though, access is almost instant.
> >
> > Do you see any difference in the response time for the following two
> > queries?
> >
> > dig -t A debian.org
> >
> > dig -t AAAA debian.org
>
> The last one times out. The first one takes a little while to resolve,
> if I run it straight away again (the first dig command, it is pretty
> fast)

Your nameserver does not handle IPv6 queries correctly (as Norbert and
Alan have already surmised in their recent messages in this thread).
Debian waits for the IPv6 request to time out before it sends an IPv4
request, causing the delays you are experiencing.

I would try this (elaborating on what the others have already suggested):

dig -t NS iinet.net.au

will tell you the IP addresses of the nameservers of your provider.
Using any of these namserves should give you a fast response on the iPv6
query:

dig @XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX -t AAAA debian.org

when you replace the Xs with one of the nameserver IP addresses. If the
documentation of your provider recommends any other nameservers then you
should try those addresses as well.

Once you have found two nameservers that work, put them into your
/etc/resolv.conf before the IP address of your router. If you find that
resolv.conf gets overwritten at every boot then you should have a look
at the resolvconf package; it allows you to add a permanent header to
that file.

          Florian   |