system taking ages to resolve dns

Hi,

I just reinstalled debian this week. It has not solved my issue of
resolving dns taking a long time. Basically the issue is: If I want to
access a dns such as google, or debian.org, it takes for ever to resolve
the dns. Whether I'm using firefox or lynx to browse the web or msmtp to
send email, the resolving of dns is over 30 seconds. If I use the ip
address though, access is almost instant. So what can I do to solve this
problem? Only occuring on my debian system, windows vista on the same
system works fine, and no one else on the network seems to have issues
like these. The issue started happening when I got my new dsl2 modem
(netgear, nb5). As I said I did a reinstall, and with the base system
and testing with lynx, I found the problem pretty much the same. So how
can I speed up dns resolution?

Thanks,
Daniel.