Module.symvers is missing; modprobe error

So I am trying to build a out-of-tree kernel module for my graphics chipset.

I am using Debian 5.0 (x86) with 2.6.29-1-686 kernel.

Now as soon as I give the "make" command from the source directory of my graphics chipset, I get the following warning:
WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.29/Module.symvers

           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

The build process continues and it does build the two required modules successfully - drm.ko psb.ko. I need these two custom modules to get Xorg graphics driver working.

Now as soon as I try to load these two modules I get the following error message for each of them:
Invalid module format -1

Upon searching I found that the Module.symvers is the culprit. How do I take care of this?

Kushal Koolwal

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/