Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:39:47 -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > What, then, makes you think that you have a "Broadcom Corporation
> > BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)" wireless adapter? Is there a PCMCIA card
> > with this chipset?
>
> That's weird. I swear when I started this whole thing, I ran 'lspci', and got
> that output. I mean, really, where else could I have gotten that? It was pasted
> from a terminal, and I don't have any other machines in here with wireless :-)

I also assumed that you had pasted the text because it was a verbatim
copy of the relevant part of /usr/share/misc/pci.ids. I was therefore
very surprised when nothing showed up with lspci.

> On the front of the notebook, there a label which says 'Broadcom Wireless', and
> underneath that is an antenna symbol, the word 'Wireless', and a switch to turn
> the wireless on or off. I of course have tried all this with the indicator in
> both positions.

Just to be sure: Did you reboot after changing the state of the switch?
It might also be worthwhile to enter the BIOS setup and look for an
option related to the wireless interface. (The accessibility of such an
option, should it exist, might depend on the on/off setting.)

> However, now when I run lsusb, I get this:
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Wireless (Bluetooth + WLAN)
> Interface [Integrated Module]

Do you have any USB devices plugged in that could be (mis)identified
like that? I do not immediately see how a network device could shift
from the PCI to the USB subsystem like that.

> Could I have changed something when I installed the Windows driver from HP with
> ndiswrapper? I've since removed the driver _and_ ndiswrapper.

As far as I remember, there are network adapters whose Windows drivers
can put them in a state that makes them unusable under Linux (until one
boots Windows and changes the relevant configuration). It may be
possible that a Windows driver under ndiswrapper can have the same
effect. Unfortunately I do not know enough about this issue to judge how
likely such a scenario is for the BCM4328.

If there is a Windows installation on the laptop then I would use it to
check the wireless configuration. Trouble can hide behind seemingly
innocuous configuration options like "energy saving" or "auto-suspend".

          Florian   |