Re: scripting question

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:28:23AM -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
for i in *zzz;do
mv "$i" $(echo "$i"|sed 's/^...//');
done

But I'd recommend one of these: mrename, krename, gprename,
renameutils and more (all apt-gettable, of course).

Oh, and I think prename (or just rename?) comes with Perl. It should
be something as simple as:

rename 's/^...//' *.zzz

Thanks, Kumar, and everyone else. For now, rename/prename (both names work) does just what I need. I will look into the others when I have time. I will also look at the scripts that others suggested so I can get more familiar with the techniques.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com