scripting question

I am sure that this is an easy question for those people who do any reasonable amount of scripting. I'm just not one of them.

How can I rename all of the files ina directory with the new name being the old name stripped of its leftmost three characters. If all of the files are off the format:

	xxxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.zzz

I want the new names to be of the format:

	yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.zzz

I have hundreds of files like this in each of several directories and I really don't want to do it all by hand. I did some of that, already, and I know there must be a better way.

All help appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com