Re: Lenny hangs on "Activating Swap"

On Thursday 02 July 2009, Mark Marcacci wrote:
> The subject line says it all.  Just did a clean install of Lenny 5.0.2,had
> had several successful reboots and shutdowns and then tonight from a cold
> start it hung at "Activating Swap".  Before this happened, I had connected
> an NTFS drive (using NTFS-3g package) via USB and copied over 60 GB of data
> to my home partition on /dev/hda.  Unmounted the drive, shut down the
> computer with no errors.  10 minutes later went to start cold and it hung.
>
> Any ideas?  Does Lenny still want that
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I sometimes get the same problem, on a machine which is intermittently
upgraded to unstable.  Its an old Acer laptop, and I had always put it down
to a hardware problem, but perhaps there is another problem and it is
the same one as you have been hitting.

I usually find that rebooting cures the problem, but very occasionally I
have to do it twice.

David