Re: spam control

On 2009-02-28 09:29 (+0530), Girish Kulkarni wrote:

> How is your experience with the spam control tools already available
> (SpamAssassin, SpanBouncer, Bogofilter)? Which one is the most
> favoured? Is Gmail indeed the best option for controlling spam?

I have never used Gmail but I've been very happy with Bogofilter. I
fetch my mail with "fetchmail" and deliver it to mailboxes with
"procmail". I have a Procmail rule to do Bogofilter check.

Bogofilter is only a Bayesian-like filter so user have to teach it what
is spam and what is not spam ("ham"). At first the spam filter doesn't
work at all. If you use Bogofilter I suggest configuring your mail
client so that it's easy to classify messages as spam or ham, that is,
to conveniently teach the filter. Gradually the filter gets better and
better and is optimized for the kind of mail you receive.