Re: problem with SATA disk, difference between standard kernel and Debian kernel

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 10:29:28AM +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> lee wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure if I could use a pre-built Debian kernel: the installer
> > couldn't access the SATA disks because it didn't have the module for
> > the controller, and a pre-built standard Debian kernel might not have
> > that, either.
>
> The installer uses different kernel, though. I would recommend recompiling
> kernel, only if you are missing something from the standard one. But may be
> this is the case for you.

Well, how do you install on SATA disks when the installer can't access
them? It still has the option to load more modules from a floppy disk,
but I haven't had a floppy disk drive for years ... With no system
installed, you couldn't create those disks anyway.

> something like error on urbs (those are part of usb driver) and loosing
> permanently one drive from the array. So I talked to the kernel people that
> helped a bit, but this did not solve the issue.
> It looks like one of the drives (mostly WesternDigital) looses power, this
> is what the kernel people said and thus is being lost from the raid array.

Hm, a drive shouldn't lose power ...

> Are your disks from same model and vendor?

Yes, they are the same.

BTW, I haven't had the problem with the Debian kernel yet, but I was
on vacation so that the computer was turned off and the uptime with
the new kernel has been only a couple days yet. So it remains to be
seen ...

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm