Re: install

softfox@catholic.org put forth on 12/30/2009 11:25 AM:
> Hi Debian:
>
> I am on the Debian site.
> It is not really clear which file is to be used
> to boot from a 3.5 floppy.

I assume you're wanting to boot from a 3.5" floppy to do a network installation.

It would appear that a floppy boot install is now (unofficially?) deprecated.  I
cannot find an image file or installation instructions for writing the boot
image to a floppy disk, and floppy booting is not mentioned at all in the
installation notes for Lenny.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.html.en

In the olden days, one would merely download the floppy disk images and then
execute the following commands to write the files to the disks

:/$ dd if=deb.netinst.1 of=/dev/fd0
:/$ dd if=deb.netinst.2 of=/dev/fd0

and then boot from the first disk and pop the second one in when prompted.

Sry I couldn't be more help.  I've used this install method for years.
Apparently I'll have to switch to the minimal CD net boot install for new
installations I do in the future. :(

--
Stan