Re: A-posteriori use of another HDD for the /home/username

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:04:48AM +0100, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:20:49PM +0100, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> >> I re-tried exactly the same thing, but with the same contents on both
> >> HDDs (proved with a diff). I had to use
> >>
> >> # cp --recursive --update .[a-zA-Z0-9]* /mnt/mymnttosdc5
> >
> > The root cause of problem is you used "cp --recursive --update * blh ...".
> > Since things may have messed up somewhere, it is better to do it over.
> >
> > # cd /mnt/mymnttosdc5
> > # rm -rf * .*
> > rm: cannot remove directory `.'
> > rm: cannot remove directory `..'
> > # cd
> > # cp -a ./ /mnt/mymnttosdc5
> > # vim /etc/fstab
> > ... set up mount for your new home for next boot
> > # mount -t auto /dev/sdc5 /mnt/mymnttosdc5
> >
> > Check how things are working.
> Same. I erased everything, and then re-copied everything. Same result.

I was too quick to write this way.  To get different behavior, you
clearly need to mount /dev/sdc5 as your home from console.  (But this is
something, I think obvious actions without saying ...)  Maybe you
did....  It is unclear for me.  Since you are using home directory now,
you may need to logout and login to activate new filesystem situation.

> > Did you set up fstab.  Read "man 8 mount".
> For sure. I should have posted it before, but

Maybe ... but not in complihensible way to me.

For example what is the following fstab  Is this before you reconfigure
or after.  It has no /dev/sdc5 (commented out) so I assume this to be "before".
I assume you enabled that line before reboot.  Bt really????

Guessing from your posting ....

Please make your point clear by doing following with just console
shell activities (no X11/curses application please):

0. Do "cd ;script myaction1.txt"
1. mount /dev/sdc5 at /mnt/mymnttosdc5
2. move data from /home/merciadriluca to /mnt/mymnttosdc5 as you did
3. Do "echo NEW > /mnt/mymnttosdc5/marker"
4. Do "echo OLD > /home/merciadriluca/marker"
5. Do "cat ~/marker"
6. unmount /dev/sdc5
7. Do "cat /etc/fstab;mount"
8. make modification to get updated fstab
9. press ^D to exit script
10. reboot
11. Do "cd ;script myaction2.txt"
12. Do "cat ~/marker"
13. Do "cat /etc/fstab;mount"
14. press ^D to exit script
15. post myaction1.txt and myaction2.txt

> ==
> # cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/sda5       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/sda6       none            swap    sw              0       0
> #/dev/sdc5       /home/merciadriluca ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

Why commented out?  This is not active...

> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/scd1       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/scd2       /media/cdrom2   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> 192.168.0.106:/home/merciadriluca /mnt/nfs/laptop/home/ nfs rw,sync,hard,intr 0 0
> 192.168.0.107:/home/merciadriluca /mnt/nfs/eee/home/ nfs rw,sync,hard,intr 0 0
> I hope my problem is now clear. Do not hesitate to give me any
> solution if you find out one.

Not yet for sure.

> Waiting for a solution to this unfortunate problem,

Basically, problem solves by itself when one clarifies what is causing
problem.  Let's see what you post.

Osamu