Re: A-posteriori use of another HDD for the /home/username

Klistvud put forth on 12/25/2009 2:59 PM:
> Dne, 25. 12. 2009 20:29:39 je Hartwig Atrops napisal(a):
>> Hi.
>>
>> Why don't you mount the new disk on /home/merciadriluca/  ?
>>

> I second that. To elaborate a little: it's quite common to copy the
> entire contents of your current /home to a new disk or partition, and
> then modify your fstab so as to mount the new disk (partition) as /home.
> In order not to leave loose ends, before rebooting into the "new" /home
> you should also rename your old /home to (say) /home.old and create the
> new mount point /home on your current drive. It may be necessary to do
> so from a live CD (or by booting into single-user (root) mode), if your
> current /home can't be renamed on-the-fly.

I did almost exactly the above scenario recently.  On my Postfix
firewall/gateway+www+ftp server I migrated my entire system+data disk, a 40GB
Seagate EIDE to a new 500GB WD SATA disk.  With the original system setup, home
directories and everything but /boot were on a single ~35GB partition.  On the
new disk, I duplicated the two partition sizes on the old disk, 100MB /boot and
~35GB /, along with a 1GB swap partition.  I also created a new 100GB partition
for home directories.  After formatting the partitions, I copied everything over
to the proper new locations with "cp -a" then modified /etc/fstab accordingly on
the new disk, ran LILO to put an MBR on the new disk, powered down the system,
removed the old disk, powered up, and /home was now on it's new 100GB partition.

There are many ways to skin this cat, this is but one.

--
Stan