Re: A-posteriori use of another HDD for the /home/username

On Friday 25 December 2009 11:49 am, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After some data manipulation, I now have a free ext3 disk. My aim is
> to put the entire content of my /home/merciadriluca/ in it, at the
> place of on the HDD where /etc/, /sys/, and other stuff resides.
>
> The problem is that I have a lot of apps and scripts for which I have set
> the home folder to /home/merciadriluca/.
>
> As I want the transition to be as smooth as possible, the best thing
> to do would be --at least to me-- to play around with symlinks. My
> first idea was to create a symlink `merciadriluca' in /home/. This
> symlink would be pointing to my new drive. The problem is that, on the
> one hand, the name of this symlink needs to be the same as
> `merciadriluca' (so that I do not need to modify all my scripts,
> etc.); on the other hand, my session's name still needs to be
> `merciadriluca' so that I do not need another account. That is, I am
> thus obliged to create two files with the same name, /i.e./
> `merciadriluca', in /home/. Doing this is however avoided.
>
> Does somebody have any suggestion about how to cope with this, by
> doing as little modifications as possible (I have lots of scripts
> everywhere, things in /etc/init.d which launch /home/... things, etc.,
> backup tools, etc.)?

Sorry if I don't see a problem.

1. Copy the contents of /home/merciadriluca to your newly cleared out disk.
2. Rename /home/merciadriluca to something like /home/merci.bak just to be on
the safe side.
3. Create the link in the /home directory to the data on your new disk.
4. Done.  You have exactly what you want.

What am I missing that you are seeing?

Mark