Re: Using LightScribe on Debian?

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:28:34 +0100
Richard Hartmann <richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> dijo:

>Hi all,
>
>my new drive comes with LightScribe support.
>
>>From what I can tell, there are little to none FLOSS solutions. LaCiE
>seems to offer a closed source solution that supposedly runs on
>Linux, but I am loath to try it for the simple reason that it's closed.
>
>Any and all help appreciated.

I have two Lightscribe DVD drives in my desktop computer (Intrepid,
x86_64) that I built a couple years ago. Anxious to try them out, I
installed the LaCie software. Two points:

1) The image is black and white only

2) It takes about five minutes to finish

3) The image quality sucks, although you can get better results by
burning twice.

I used Lighscribe to put a graphic on a few distro CDs for friends, and
then never used Lightscribe again.

I still want to be able to put an image on a CD or DVD, but I guess the
only way to do that properly is with an inkjet. But if I do it only
once every few months I'll have clogged jets, wasted ink from cleaning,
and constant headaches. So I just continue to use a sharpie.