Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 05:41:22 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Mon December 21 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > 1)  Faster booting, since irrelevant drivers aren't loaded and won't
> > spend time probing.
> just faster booting, or doesn't it also run faster, since it isn't loaded with
> a bunch of PORK?

My understanding is that most modules, such as drivers, won't cause any
ongoing performance penalty if they aren't in use.  There are some
kernel options that do. and they're sometimes (though not, alas,
consistently, like much of the kernel documentation) noted as such in
the kernel docs.

> > 2)  Security - one of these null pointer dereferences that they keep
> > discovering can't hurt you if it's in code that hasn't been included.
> >
> not sure I understand. Are you saying if there is a reference to hardware that
> doesn't exist on your platform?

No.  A NPD is a very serious type of coding error with potentially
catastrophic security consequences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_%28computing%29#Null_pointer

If the code in which the bug occurs isn't being build, though, you're
quite safe ;)

Celejar