Re: Monitor file system free space

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 17:25:55 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > I had a problem with my (small) disk filling up and crashing my mail
> > server.  So, I wrote a simple perl script to take the output of 'df -h'
> > and look for a % full that is greater than 97% and send me an e-mail if
> > the % is greater than 97.  I run the script daily from crontab.  It works
> > fine.
> >
> > Yesterday I downloaded an iso image (which brought the file system fill
> > from 93% to 100% so that the mail server could not send me the e-mail
> > warning.  Is there another way to approach this problem (a different
> > tool?)so that I can be notified BEFORE the file system is too full?
>
> If your mail server is important ( ;-) ), put your mails and/or all of
> /var on a separate partition, maybe with quotas.
>
> Do the same for /home.

As I have had those mouse syslogs filling up /var which cripples anything that
touches logs, mail, runs, pids, in other words, everything. So a monitor like
this would be very useful. The monitor would need to check partitions in a
conf file and then take action if any are filled. In the case of /var,
messaging, mailing, most anything will not work unless I set the limit low
enough. But that's the whole point.

Maybe post your perl.