How to tar a file while it's chaging

Hi,

In a backup shell script I tar a file but sometimes it's chaging because is a log file (plain/text).

While taring a get this error (warning) message:
/bin/tar: /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.1-main.log: file changed as we read it
The command return with a non-zero value (an error) but I can't found tar return codes in man.

¿There is a way to tar a file but ignore if the file is modified or may be a way to trunk the file?

Thanks.-

--
  "You don't know where your shadow will fall",
       Somebody.-