Re: Looking for a USB Wireless Adapter that supports wpa-supplicant

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:41:54 -0500
"Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com>" <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

As the subject says I need a USB adapter that works on Debian and supports wpa-supplicant. We are finally able to get a fate network connect here in the mountains, using a Verizon MiFi2200 connection. The only problem is that all of my USB Wireless adapters are to old and don't work with wpa.

A google search did not help too much. It looks like 'maybe' a Netgear WNDA3100 or a Netgear WN111v2 would be what I want but I don't want to get either one until I know that someone is using it on Debian.

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

I have an AZiO AWU254 (Ver: 1.0) adapter.  From lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter

As you can see, it uses a Ralink chipset, and it is supported by the
in-kernel Ralink driver (rt73usb - non-free firmware, in package
firmware-ralink, required).  I just tested it with an AP running
WPA-PSK, and it works fine.

Mine looks like this one:

http://www.handhelditems.com/azio-80211g-54mbps-wireless-adapter-p-38837.html

but I have no idea if they're still using the same chipset ...  The
page only mentions WEP, and (of course) doesn't say anything about
linux, but I don't know if the info is reliable.  Caveat emptor.

Thank You Celejar!!!

That look like a winner. As I have not done the WPA before, I may have a few questions for you when I find one.

Many, Many Thanks!

Wayne

Check out these link in that order, surely you will find out an adapter (chipset) for you:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=16
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/drivers.php
http://www.linux-usb.org/
http://www.linux-drivers.org/

There is a lot to check and multiple choices...

Olaf

"You don't know where your shadow will fall", Somebody.-
Ing. Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta <olafrv@gmail.com>