Re: ECC Ram (Was: Debian 5.0 & 64 bits)

On 12/15/2009 12:14 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:58:02 -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 14:22, Andrew M.A. Cater

Get good quality memory (possibly ECC memory if you can) and you'll
have a workhorse for a long period of time.

Since I doubt he is running a DB that big just for fun, I would say ECC
RAM is mandatory. In fact, every time I look up the error rates for RAM,
I wonder why consumer class RAM isn't ECC.

I have read the latest Intel chipsets (Core i7 - Bloomfield) do not allow
ECC RAM.

Prior to i7/i5, the Intel chips didn't care what memory was used, because the Northbridge handled it. i7/i5 went the same route AMD did a few years back, i.e., memory controller on the CPU. This means that you are required to buy the CPU that matches your memory, and not the other way around.*

That is, if you are running high availability equipment, and need ECC, or registered+ECC, you must get a Xeon.

Mark Allums

* Intel did not quite match AMD; their i7 memory controller is more finicky, and is more risky for enthusiasts to overclock, as overvolting the memory is said to be "not good".

Mark Allums