MySql-sever 5.1.3 from BPO ISSUES

I have recently installed the 5.1 versions from back-ports Lenny & since
the installation the systems works from a reboot but I can not manually
stop or start the server, therefore I cant do the updates as they are
posted from BPO. I read the installation material in regards to the new
users debian-system-maint about reseting the passwords & flushing
priviledges. That does not work. I tried from MySqlAdmin & from Webmin.
it errors out. Aslso I cant get synaptic to install the upgrade to 5.1.3
for this reason. Tips are appreciated.