Re: Weird time-zone oscillation

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 08:16:21PM +0100, David Kubicek wrote:
>> OK, where do I move next? :-) Especially given that these things don't
>> happen in a fresh sid chroot, I am really wondering what unearthly
>> configuration option could be causing this.
>
> OK, this is now officially insane. I have no firm idea what could be the
> culprit, we can however test some scenarios, which could reveal
> something of substance. In your situation, I'd now use gdb with
> libc6-dbg and debug all function calls to pinpoint the reason, but I
> cannot reproduce it on my system. :(

The strange thing is, in gdb, it always gives me
1260521400. Consistently.

> So try "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" first and then let's refresh a few more
> packages:
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get install --reinstall libc6 libc6-i686 libgcc1

No effect.

> If that doesn't help, try posix-in-loop test from single-user mode. Make
> sure no other processes are running.

I've checked, and the same thing happens.

> I'm not aware of any configuration which could cause this (except for TZ
> and /etc/timezone, of course).

I think I've wasted enough of my time and the list's time on this;
I'll just go back to work now, and, later, when I get the time and
enthusiasm, try to hunt this down.

I really appreciate your help; I'll let you know if and when I get to
the bottom of this.

Thanks.

Kumar

P. S. This is what led me to discover this in the first place; note
that alarm-clock fails for me reliably in any time zone which has
daylight savings, and is perfect in any time zone which doesn't.

Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.
(By komarimf@craft.camp.clarkson.edu, Mark Komarinski)