Re: Weird time-zone oscillation

On 12/13/2009 07:50 PM, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 07:39:31PM +0100, David Kubicek wrote:
# export TZ=Europe/Prague
# for i in `seq 1 20`; do ./posix; date; done
1260496200
Sun Dec 13 19:04:24 CET 2009

(Note: 2600 vs. 6200):
[kumar@bluemoon ~] for i in `seq 1 10`;do TZ=Europe/Prague ./a.out&&  TZ=Europe/Prague date ;done
1260492600
Sun Dec 13 19:47:24 CET 2009
1260496200

# export TZ=CET-1CES,M3.5.0,M10.5.0
# for i in `seq 1 20`; do ./posix; date; done
1260496200
Sun Dec 13 19:04:36 CET 2009
# unset TZ

(The same)
[kumar@bluemoon ~] for i in `seq 1 10`;do TZ="CET-1CES,M3.5.0,M10.5.0" ./a.out&&  TZ="CET-1CES,M3.5.0,M10.5.0" date ;done
1260496200
Sun Dec 13 19:48:03 CET 2009
1260492600

OK, where do I move next? :-) Especially given that these things don't
happen in a fresh sid chroot, I am really wondering what unearthly
configuration option could be causing this.

OK, this is now officially insane. I have no firm idea what could be the culprit, we can however test some scenarios, which could reveal something of substance. In your situation, I'd now use gdb with libc6-dbg and debug all function calls to pinpoint the reason, but I cannot reproduce it on my system. :(

So try "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" first and then let's refresh a few more packages:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install --reinstall libc6 libc6-i686 libgcc1

If that doesn't help, try posix-in-loop test from single-user mode. Make sure no other processes are running.

I'm not aware of any configuration which could cause this (except for TZ and /etc/timezone, of course).

--
David Kubicek