Re: Debian 5.0 & 64 bits

On 12/13/2009 7:00 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
Stan Hoeppner<stan@hardwarefreak.com>  :
If you want to stick with AMD, I recommend the following:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache
6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131609

Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104163

I second. Good advice. ;-)

I agree, except that, if I understood correctly, he already has the CPU (though I disregarded this in my own post). So he would want a motherboard he can use with his Opteron.

The question of dual-core vs. 4-core has been raised; with i7, you get potentially the best of both with "turbo boost". It is capable of shutting down unused coes while speeding up in-use ones to keep power/thermal dissipation within the spec'ed envelope. This works well IME, although I don't know if it has kernel support in Linux or Debian (or whether it requires it.)

Mark Allums