Re: Debian 5.0 & 64 bits

amka put forth on 12/12/2009 6:32 PM:

>   - CPU           AMD       Opteron 1356
>   - Motherboard   Tyan      Tomcat n3400B (S2925-E)
>   - Memory        Kingston  KVR800D2E6K2/4G   (2x kit of 2x2GB = 8GB)
>
> Perhaps somebody have an experience with some of that.

Is this for a desktop system?  If so your choice of motherboard and proc
rev is overpriced and will under perform for the money.  A higher
frequency dual core CPU will give better desktop performance than a
lower frequency quad core CPU.  The only difference between a
"workstation class" board and a "desktop class" board is cost and
"guaranteed compatibility" with a select set of after market components.
 Given the maturity of the parts in the market today, I would not pay
extra money for a "workstation" board.

If you want to stick with AMD, I recommend the following:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache
6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131609

Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104163

--
Stan