Re: apt pinning question

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 09:49:22AM +1100, Gordon Wrigley wrote:
> Another way to look at this would be to ask...
>
> Given two available versions of a package where the higher version has
> the lower priority, how do I get apt to automatically install the
> lower priority one when the higher version is required to meet a
> dependency?

If the higher version is required to meet a dependency, why don't you
want it installed?  Apt is going to try to meet the dependency.

If you think the lower version should satisfy the dependency, but the packager
didn't agree, you can try editing the control file of the package.
You'll have to download the package, open it with an archiver program (I
use file roller), then open control.tar.gz.  That will contain a file
called "control".  Edit that and you can change the "Depends" line.

-Rob