Re: apt-file update doesn't get Contents-i386.gz from my own apt repository

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 01:49:13PM -0800, Peter Michaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created my own apt simple repository

Which documentation recommended you to create a so called "simple
repository"?  It should be avoided these days.

(See http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_small_public_package_archive )

>   # ls -1 /home/code/apt
>   Contents
>   Contents-i386.gz
>   Packages
>   Packages.gz
>   db
>   libconfig-properties-perl_1.70-1_all.deb
>
> I can install the package from that apt repository
>
>   # cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list
>   deb file:///home/code/apt ./
>   EOF
>   # apt-get update
>   Ign file: ./ Release.gpg
>   Ign file: ./ Release
>   Ign file: ./ Packages

Since  "simple repository" does not have no secureAPT support without
Release.gpg.  It does not work well with modern APT system.

>   # apt-get install libconfig-properties-perl
>   # perl -MConfig::Properties -e 'print($Config::Properties::VERSION."\n");'
>   1.70
>
> Great. That works.

I think you got libconfig-properties-perl from some properly made remote
repository ... most likely from http://security.debian.org/dists/lenny/updates/.
If it is from file:///home/code/apt, secure APT should
complain (as I understand when I made my local repository as local http
service.  file:// may be different from http:// ... though.)

I do not know all the inside works of apt-file.  It is not core APT
tool.  If it has bus as commented, we need to work around it.

> What to do to get "apt-file update" behaving properly?

Wait its bug to be fixed ... ?

> (I'm using dh-make-perl which uses apt-file to locate prerequisite
> packages and that is how I ran into this problem.)

Osamu