Re: voice communication on my LAN

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:53:34 -0500
Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for an easy way for my wife to contact me when I'm working
> out in my garage.  I've usually got the computer on, playing music out
> there.  I'd like something that will make a sound over the computer
> speakers, so I'll know I have an incoming call.
>
> I use Ekiga for SIP over the internet.  It does not work, though, to
> communicate between 2 computers on the same LAN -- I think this is
> because I use STUN.

Well, the Ekiga FAQ does note that this will not work when you're
behind a NAT router, and it says that the solution is to use Avahi -
have you tried that?

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router#I_have_2_Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_using_STUN:_they_can.27t_communicate
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Avahi

> I could set up my own SIP server, but I imagine there must be an easier
> way.  If not, then I'd appreciate advise on which SIP server would be
> best/easiest for my application.

I am not sure about this, and I haven't tried it, but IIUC, the problem
we're discussing will only occur where you're trying to communicate via
a SIP server, but you should be able to connect to each other directly
by local hostname / IP address, i.e., instead of trying to call with
'robowens@ekiga.net', try 'garage@192.168.0.11' (after setting up your
lan addressing scheme appropriately).

Celejar