Re: "apt-file update" error because missing Contents-i386.gz file

On 2009-12-11, Peter Michaux <petermichaux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new Debian Lenny system. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains
>
>   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
>   deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib
>
> When I do "apt-file update" I see the following error.
>
>   Can't get http://security.debian.org/dists/lenny/updates/Contents-i386.gz
>
> Sure enough that file doesn't exist.
>
> Is this a known issue? Any solution other than commenting out the line
> in sources.list?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

It is a known issue. The only effect is that the contents of the 'updates'
won't be available to apt-file, but those contents should be the same as 'main'
anyway.

Do not comment out the line. Doing so would affect the operation of apt-get and
aptitude as well, and you would miss security updates. If the error message
bothers you then you can create a new sources file and reference it using the
'-s' option of apt-file.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom