Re: How to move an OS install from one primary partition to another?

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> That in itself shouldn't be a problem. You could just copy the files
>> (using ntfs-3g), use dd or some other method. But your problem will be
>> that Windows won't find itself in the expected place anymore. Off the
>> top of my head, I only know of C:\boot.ini which must be adapted, but I
>> don't even know whether Windows 7 still uses this file.

I've forgotten what the OP's question was, but when it comes to Ghosting/imaging Windows OS's to another drive or partition, I've used this (free for private edition/use) software numerous times with great results (I've always pulled the hdd's physically and connected via USB to ensure no running processes interfered): http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm.

HTH.

Mark