Re: debian support and laptops

Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

Following is a list of laptops. I've narrowed it down to 3 and am
considering buying one and running debian on it. How good is debian
support on these machines? What is good, what is worth avoiding?
I will be doing:
programming, typing, msn, irc, web, email, music, virtual machines etc.

Here is the list:

1. Acer travel mate 6293 AU$1799
2. hp Compaq 6530S  AU$1279
3. hp Compaq 610  AU$999

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Dan

From my experience I will look only 2 things: ethernet/wifi card and graphic card.
Graphic card only if you need 3D acceleration.

Ethernet/wifi is something that must works in any condition so try to avoid any ethernet/wifi that doesn't have open source drivers. Broadcom is good example for avoiding (I know i have one and I will probably never again buy laptop with Broadcom).

So basicli look for ethernet/wifi card that is natural supported in Linux.

By,
Goran Dobosevic.