Re: [OT] Customizing keyboard shortcuts in Iceweasel

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 16:16, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mozilla claims that it can't be done:
>
> "Configuring keyboard shortcuts
>
> Firefox does not provide any method of customizing keyboard shortcuts."
>
> Is this for real (and up-to-date)?!  A serious, sophisticated GUI
> application that doesn't allow this sort of customization?!

yep, the keyboard shortcut code hasn't been seriously overhauled
since the Mozilla 1.x days (pre-Firefox). The have talked about
reworking it at some point, but so far other things have taken priority.

> I suppose that I could file a wishlist bug, but if upstream already
> acknowledges the deficiency, is there any point?

I think there is a bug, if you have a bugzilla account you can vote for
it, but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

> What I want to do is to bind keystroke combinations to bookmarks, so
> that I can open sites easily with such combos.  Is there a way to do
> this?

I don't know about binding keystrokes to a bookmark, but you can use
keywords. Open the properties of a bookmarked item and enter the
characters you want to use in the keyword field. Now if you type those
characters in the url bar, you will go to that bookmark.

If you combine that with a %s instead of a search term in a url, and then
"keyword searchterm" (no quotes) in the url bar will perform that search.
For example I have an imdb keyword, so if I type imdb casablanca, it
searches imdb for casablanca.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers