Re: Migrating to Grub2 deletes kernel automagic updates and other settings

>> Is the os-prober package installed?

> Nope...

They may or may not be an os-prober package but when it comes to grub,
os-prober is a script in /etc/grub.d (/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober). If it
is executable, it will add the kernels that it finds to
/boot/grub/grub.cfg when update-grub is run.

>> I don't like the idea of grub building its .cfg file from bits and
>> pieces of grub-legacy, or lilo stuff that may live on other
>> partitions.
>> So, I let it happen once to build grub.cfg and copied all the stanzas
>> from other systems to /etc/grub.d/40_custom, modified them to my
>> liking, deactivated os-prober by making the script in /etc/grub.d/ '-x',
>> and ran update-grub.

I do the same. All my entries are in 40_custom and 10_linux and
30_os-prober are not executable.