Re: Migrating to Grub2 deletes kernel automagic updates and other settings

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 08:54:56AM EST, Klistvud wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> I've just tried to install Grub2 to my spare Lenny installation. I am
> baffled (not to say disappointed) by the results:
>
> 1. -- kernel automagic configuration hasn't been copied over from the
> legacy menu.lst to the new grub.cfg

Is the os-prober package installed?

[..]

> 4. -- it didn't pick up the right partitions of my installed systems,
> so I had to manually edit grub.cfg, changing various "set root=(hd0,1)"
> into "set root=(hd0,2)" and the like. And this was on a pretty simple
> setup: only a single hard drive, with just four primary partitions
> (Swap, Lenny, LennySpare, and Home).

The documentation tells you not to do that, but rather edit the 'source'
files in /etc/grub.d and run update-grub.

[..]

> My question is: will Lenny still be able to update its list of kernels
> automagically with all its "automagic" gone?

Probably.

I don't like the idea of grub building its .cfg file from bits and
pieces of grub-legacy, or lilo stuff that may live on other partitions.

So, I let it happen once to build grub.cfg and copied all the stanzas
from other systems to /etc/grub.d/40_custom, modified them to my liking,
deactivated os-prober by making the script in /etc/grub.d/ '-x', and
ran update-grub.

[..]

CJ