Re: virus on linux?

abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I am asking if there is a virus on my machine how to detect it.

Try scanning with Clamav

> the command ps aux  gives all  running processes, all really all? or it
> may be a hidden process running on background.

There might be a hidden process using rootkit techniques. For rootkits, try
chkrootkit, rkhunter and unhide.

> Until now, I considered that a virus doen't affect a system if you work
> as simple user,
> and can't damage system without root permission, am I right,  or virus
> can get root privileges ??

A malware program can get root access via a security hole in the system. One
reason to install security updates frequently.

> another thing on linux, the program can't run if it not executable, it
> must have the "x" permission, if we copy a file normally it looses the x
> permission.
> This is what I believe up now, am I right??
> thanks for help
> bela

Usually yes but some interpreters (like php and perl) run scripts without the
execute bit set.

--
Juha Tuuna