Re: Aptitude Configuration

In <[🔎] 200912010129.54945.bss@iguanasuicide.net>, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>In <[🔎] 20091201002006.GA9811@emurlahn.burrows.local>, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>>On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 01:34:11PM -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
>
><bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
>>> I use a mixed system, partially documented at
>>> On all of them, it would be quite nice if aptitude would give me just a
>>> /little _bit_/ more information about which archive a particular package
>>> version was coming from.  Specifically, when viewing the package info for
>>> a single package, how do I change the way the lines under "Versions" are
>>> displayed?
>>
>>  I believe that's controlled by the Aptitude::UI::Package-Display-Format
>>configuration variable; i.e., you can't change it without changing the
>>display of the main list.  The "now" archive is not displayed, though; I
>>can't recall why I made that decision at the moment.
>
>Are you saying I should be able to simply append "(%t)" after "%v %V" to get
>what I desire?

Replying to myself, yes.  That does work.  It makes the main list a bit ugly
though.  It also is truncated and spaced oddly, but that's something I'm
betting I can reduce with proper use of width and spacing specifications.

Daniel, would you be terribly averse to a wishlist bug to make a separate
configuration option for this?

Also, does anyone know a good way to make aptitude display the section(topdir)
in the UI?  I don't have all my package lists using that as a grouping (e.g.
the "Recommended but will NOT be installed" part of the preview window), and I
think you would be nice to see "[main]" or "[non-free]" next to some of the
suggestions.

Thanks for your help, Daniel.  I didn't see any other replies, but if you sent
one, you get a thanks for the effort.