Re: Quick and dirty "debian live" on USB stick.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 07:00:55PM EST, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

[..]

> Hm, not necessary to install from scratch.

> Just copy over to the usb and put in fstab and relevant files
> (grub,etc) the disk id instead of /dev/sda (you need udev for this),
> so you can be sure to use the same device no matter which id it sd id
> it gets assigned to.

Good point: UUID= in /etc/fstab and grub.cfg

> recreate initrd and possibly hack it.

I don't see why at this point, but that's the problem when you cannot
test. I already have a custom initrd and recreating it is not going to
make any difference.

Actually, since I can't get qemu to work, I'm thinking of copying the
system on the USB stick to a DVD and see if I can boot off of that. If
it doesn't it could mean different things, but if it does boot then I'll
know that the USB stick is problably going to do likewise.

> For me I needed to add manually command for inserting dm-mod and
> triggering vgscan/vgchange on a crypted partition with lvm.  After
> playing a bit I managed it to get a working initrd. It's all mater of
> initrd to get it running.

> A major issue is that there are different machines on around with
> different chipsets cpus etc, so you'll need more generic kernel and
> drivers ... may be 386 to be sure it will run on each system, or get
> some 386, 586 and 686.

Good point, although machines that can boot off of a USB device are
likely to be fairly recent and should be happy with a 686 kernel.

Thanks for you comments.

CJ