Re: Quick and dirty "debian live" on USB stick.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 05:19:56PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> I'm playing with the idea of copying my laptop's debian lenny partition
> to a USB stick that I can take with me when traveling.
>
> Since I can't be sure I'll have a machine with available space on the
> HDD or be allowed to partition the drive, what I thought was that I
> could have a bootable system on the USB stick and boot into it pretty
> much as I would off of a live CD.
>
> What I had in mind was as simple as:
>
> . clone the lenny partition to /dev/sda1
> . install grub to /dev/sda
> . make adjustments to the contents of /dev/sda1
>
> The trouble is that I don't have a machine that can boot off of a USB
> stick to test ahead of time.

I'm not sure that what you're planning won't work, but if I were you
I'd do it like this:

Create a live USB system (see my instructions in the "live cd/usb
projects" thread).  Install all the same software as your current laptop
ha.  Then transfer over your data.

Supposedly you can test your USB image using Qemu, although I've never
done it myself.
http://live.debian.net/manual/html/ch03s03.html#id2911160

-Rob