Re: Quick and dirty "debian live" on USB stick.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 08:59:21PM EST, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 05:19:56PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> > I'm playing with the idea of copying my laptop's debian lenny
> > partition to a USB stick that I can take with me when traveling.
> >
> > Since I can't be sure I'll have a machine with available space on
> > the HDD or be allowed to partition the drive, what I thought was
> > that I could have a bootable system on the USB stick and boot into
> > it pretty much as I would off of a live CD.

[..]

> I'm not sure that what you're planning won't work, but if I were you
> I'd do it like this:
>
> Create a live USB system (see my instructions in the "live cd/usb
> projects" thread).  Install all the same software as your current
> laptop ha.  Then transfer over your data.

What I had in mind was more like a "bootable backup". I tried Debian
Live before and it does not do that.

IIRC, ubuntu has something that does this, but I don't remember the name
right now, and it probably would not work for a debian system.

> Supposedly you can test your USB image using Qemu, although I've never
> done it myself.

> http://live.debian.net/manual/html/ch03s03.html#id2911160

I tried qemu when I was trying to get Debian Live to work but all it did
was it went to 100% and stayed there doing nothing. I didn't have the
time to investigate, but I have a feeling you need more RAM than I have
to run a VM under qemu - just to boot one, even.

Thanks,

CJ