problem loading opti9xx ALSA module

I'm having trouble with my Diamond Wavetable sound card
(Opti Audio 16). I think it's an ISA PnP card. It's giving
me problems at boot time (abort, stack trace) and of course
I don't have working sound.

I tried commenting out the install lines with snd-opti* in them in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. Before doing that, the boot sequence
would stop until I pressed ^C, and I would have really horrible
garbled sound. After doing that the boot sequence continues after
complaining about '/bin/sh' aborting (don't know where to find that
message; it's not a kernel message) and I get no sound at all.

I've attached my kernel messages. They're pretty similar regardless
of whether or not I do the modprobe thing.