Re: Is Squeeze right for me?

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:44 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> The local Linux friends who thought I should move on from Ubuntu
> suggested testing as the closest in the Debian world to the Ubuntu way
> of doing things. After today I am thinking they were wrong.
>
> I need advice.

I disagree with your friends. http://www.debian.org/devel/testing
Some packages in ubuntu are from unstable tree. Twice a year ubuntu
team pick packages and release. Debian/Testing gives you new package
as soon as it is "briefly" tested. So testing gives you opportunity
for not reinstalling your system for several time and have stable
enough system. Yesterday I checked firefox(iceweasel)  version in
debian testing and it is still 3.0.14!!!

Backports for stable are nice if you want to have only some
applications up to date (for example newer firefox) but core still
becomes extensively tested server distribution.

I used for several time unstable distribution for real work and now
using mix of testing and unstable for real work. Only what gives me a
lot od irritation is randomly not waking up from s2ram which didn't
work in ubuntu anyway.
--
Pozdrawiam