Re: willing to learn php basics

2009/11/25 Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr>:
> Hi to Everyone !
>
> How can I learn how to make first steps in PHP ?
>
> I run Debian Lenny, and I lately got acquainted with MySQL : I installed a
> server on my system, built a few databases there, using basic SQL scripts. I
> also learnt to manage those MySQL databases with OpenOffice.org_base.
>
> Now, I wish to try managing those MySQL bases from a web page that would
> contain PHP scripts. I have found a short document, a kind of a FAQ, that
> explains a few PHP basics, still I miss some down-to-Earth knowledges :
>
> Have I got to install one or more Debian packages for PHP ?  '$apt-cache
> search PHP' gives too many results for a choice. If the MySQL server and
> databases end up to the webspace that my Internet Provider allows to me, I
> suppose that the PHP interpreter and/or compiler will have to be there, not
> on my system ?   Still, I suppose that I must install something locally so
> as to be able to send meaningfull commands using appropriate scripts ?
>  Prior to run tests on distant web space, I first wish to carry trials with
> connexions to my local mysql server.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help

What I do when I need to run php on top of apache is to install
libapache2-mod-php5. It will pull everything you need to have a basic
apache2+php5 setup running.

Then, you can install whatever php modules that you need. THey are
usually called php5-<modulename>.

You configure apache2 by editing the files under /etc/apache2 and php
by editing /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini and the files under
/etc/pgp5/apache2/conf.d .

Cassiano