Re: Secondary Mail Server

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, John Hasler wrote:

That some organizations ignore the standard and deliberately configure
their servers to give up after a few hours.

I've been seeing less of that. My recent experience is that even organisations pushing a lot of mail will keep retrying for 24 or 48 hours.

Having said that I have no problem with using backup or multiple primary MXs if they are properly configured. They should all:

1.  Reject undeliverable mail in the first instance.
2.  Use the same anti-spam strategies.
3.  Receive the same care as any other server (patching, etc)

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com