Re: Secondary Mail Server

On 09-11-25 17:38:18, Phillipus Gunawan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to experimenting my own Secondary Mail server (MX)
> Currently I had a Postfix on my shorewall and working fine to deliver
> all emails to stupid Exchange07
> Setup the DNS, everything ok
>
> To add the flavor, I am planing to ask my best mate so I can leave a
> small box over his house to host secondary mail server
> What I would prefer the 2nd MX is to hold all emails in case my
> postix is not online
>
> I read few articles, but most of them needing me to list all current
> email address hold on Postfix / Exch
> Is there any way I can set a 2nd MX just to hold all the emails no
> matter whoever the users are, and deliver it to my primary mail
> server after its back online?
>
> Thanks for any advice

My advice is not to have a "secondary" MX, as it is just going to be
the main target of spammers, as secondary MX servers usually don't
receive the care given to primary MX servers.  It might well cause a
lot of backscatter spam, as spam accepted during the SMTP transaction
will be rejected later, when your primary MX gets it, by sending a
bounce message to some innocent party.

If your mail server will normally be online, and you only expect
outages for some sort of fault, be it hardware, software, or
connectivity, you should just rely on normal SMTP retries.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>