Re: lockscreen/switch user issues

Dne, 25. 11. 2009 05:19:13 je Brian Denheyer napisal(a):

> I know that if I let the screen saver kick in, it does _not_ lock the
> screen, as per the setting, so my thinking is that it's a switch user
> bug.

Just a thought. There are at least two distinct rationales why you
would want to switch users:

1) enable the new user to access his/her account and personal files
without worrying about file permissions and other things
2) protect users from messing up each other's accounts and personal
files
3) other, more specific reasons ...

Of course, we may only be interested in 1) and set separate user
accounts only for the sake of practicality. In this case, we need not
protect users from accessing each other's files and may in fact set up
passwordless accounts. Great if all the users are members of
the same family and/or we can be sure they are not up for pranks,
mischiefs or even mistakes (such as deleting important personal
files by mistake or inadvertently creating 20 "New Folders" on your
desktop). This case can, for many intents and purposes, be replaced by
only one common account instead of separate accounts; for simplicity,
you could only have one account for, say, an entire family, and just
create separate Documents or Personal subfolders within that shared
account.

If however, we're also interested in 2), then we generally set up
passwords for user accounts. In the latter case, why in the world would
we allow users to freely roam from account to account by simply
pressing Alt-F7, Alt-F8 etc? IMHO, forcing a password is the rational
policy in these cases, and can not be considered a bug in any sense of
the term.

Just my 2¢.

--
Regards,