Re: Corrupt Reiserfs file system

On Sunday 22 November 2009 02:16:46 Ogya Chief wrote:
> One partition on my linux box with reiserfs is corrupt and I am trying to
>  get it fixed. I ran the following command: reiserfsck --rebuild-sb
>  /dev/sdb2.

Well, that was wrong.  When dealing with ReiserFS, *ALWAYS* run reiserfsck
with the --check option first, and then it will tell you what options (if any)
you need to give to repair the filesystem.

> The report I got indicates that either I have a corrupt journal or I have
>  changed the start of the partition table editor. It prompted me to build
>  the journal header

You probably broke it then.  Writing a new journal header not something that
should be done lightly.

>  and the report I got indicates that I have some
>  corruptions and I was prompted to confirm whether the statistics were OK.
>  When I entered n the program aborted with the message that "Super block
>  was not written.

Ah, well, maybe you haven't quite broken it, yet.

> How can I go about fixing the corrupt partition.

First, run reiserfsck --check /dev/sdb2.  Then, if you don't understand the
output, reply and include the last 25 lines of program output.  Also, make
sure /dev/sdb2 is the correct device.  You should probably take a read of the
reiserfsck manpage as well.