Re: Scrunched display in VLC

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 02:41:59PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have installed VLC on my new installation of testing amd64. I
> installed it from Synaptic.
>
> It runs fine, but the display is scrunched to the left one-quarter of
> the screen.  Height is normal, though. Makes actors look really, really
> skinny.
>
> It happens with every file type I have thrown at it, include commercial
> DVDs, so it's not a problem with a certain kind of media. It also
> continues scrunched up if I run it full screen.
>
> Totem works normally. In fact, I prefer Totem; I use VLC usually only
> when a movie has subtitles. I have a hard time getting Totem to display
> subtitles, but VLC just does it automatically.
>
> I have looked in all the settings and configurations and can't find
> anything that appears wrong.
>
> Most recently I used it on Jaunty, where it worked fine. I replaced the
> ~/.vlc folder with the one from Jaunty, but it changed nothing.
>
> Google hasn't offered any help so far. I'm stumped. Anyone have any
> suggestions?

I had this problem. Scrunched video, with loss of color.
Posted about it on the VLC forum.

The solution at the time was to delete my ~/.vlc
directory.

Now the vlc config files are in ~/config/vlc, and I have the same
problem after some period of proper display. (Did I upgrade
by accident?)

Deleting these new config files and restarting VLC doesn't help.

My error message is:

	swScaler: Palette is not supported as output pixel format
	[00000507] swscale scale error: could not init SwScaler
	and/or allocate memory

I just checked on the forum: closed, due to high traffic
associated with 1.0.0 release.

Please post if you find a solution.

Regards,

Joel