Re: Is Squeeze right for me?

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:16:33 -0600
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> John Jason Jordan put forth on 11/21/2009 11:44 AM:
>
> > I need advice.
>
> If you have never used a bash shell or are not comfortable with it, or
> are not comfortable with vi/vim and editing Linux config files with
> such, then I suggest you stay far, far away from any Debian
> testing/unstable release.  Things will break and you'll be required to
> work from the CLI (command line interface, i.e. bash and vi) to fix them.
>
> For instance, if X (GUI desktop) breaks, and you can't get to Icedove to
> email a bug report or get help from this list, or log onto a web help
> forum through Iceweasel, what then can/will you do?  If you don't have
> another PC available to do such things, then you're completely dead in
> the water with your hosed "cutting edge" system, and will have to stick
> that old Ubuntu hard disk back in to allow communication with the
> outside world.

My $.02 - it's probably a really good idea to have a small, stable
installation installed alongside a testing/unstable installation even
if one *is* a CLI expert - forget X, what happens when really basic
stuff, like networking, breaks?  Been there, done that:

The problem turned out to be this (thanks again, Sven):

Celejar