Re: Is Squeeze right for me?

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 09:44 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have several years of experience with Ubuntu, but I have never looked
> inside. I'm just a pointy-clicky desktop user. How things work has
> never been of interest to me except when they don't work. Even then I
> just learn enough to fix the problem and go back to living.

A reasonable approach to computers.

> However, several Linux friends have suggested it's time for me to move
> on. According to the advice I receive I no longer need the Ubuntu
> training wheels and I would be better served by going to a less
> newbie-oriented distro.

If you are okay with Ubuntu, why would they suggest this?

> Perhaps they are right, but I grew up with
> Synaptic and .deb files, and I really don't want to leave the Debian
> world. Therefore, this morning I installed testing on a new hard disk,
> leaving my old Ubuntu hard disk untouched so I can always go back to it.

Good call with the hard drive.

> Having spent just a day in testing I am not happy with the quantity of
> bugs. Yes, I know it is called "testing" for a reason.

Yep, there can be bugs...

> Yet I need a computer that I can
> use for real work. But at the same time I want the latest and greatest.
> I need OOo 3.1 and Scribus 1.3.5.1 and the most recent versions of
> several other apps that I live in all day long. The stable versions of
> Debian are not sufficiently cutting edge for me. Or have I
> misunderstood that?

Nah, you got that. Debian stable is not cutting edge.

> The local Linux friends who thought I should move on from Ubuntu
> suggested testing as the closest in the Debian world to the Ubuntu way
> of doing things. After today I am thinking they were wrong.
>
> I need advice.

I'd say stay with Ubuntu if you are comfy with it. The latest and
greatest of some/most apps (openoffice, thunderbird, firefox, etc.) can
be installed using debs (or "what-evers") from the relevant
application's website.