Re: Is Squeeze right for me?

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:54:18 -0500
Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > Having spent just a day in testing I am not happy with the quantity
> > of bugs.
> [...]
> > But at the same time I want the latest and greatest.
>
> These 2 comments are a contradiction.
>
> Make a decision between those two, and you will have made your
> decision regarding whether to switch away from Ubuntu.
>

> > The local Linux friends who thought I should move on from Ubuntu
> > suggested testing as the closest in the Debian world to the Ubuntu
> > way of doing things. After today I am thinking they were wrong.
>
> They were right only if YOU are willing to learn to deal with
> breakage caused by "the latest and greatest" packages.  If you don't
> want to do that kind of work, then they were wrong.
>

> > I need advice.
>
> Use Debian stable ("Lenny") and make yourself familiar with
> backports.org.

That being said, be prepared to be disappointed with Lenny. I mean that
not in a bad way. While Ubu 9.10 (assuming) is nice and flashy, Lenny
is not (out of the box).

However, Lenny (to me) is solid as hell. But as Dave mentioned, there
are ways to get some of the more up to date apps etc.

In the end, you will need to be willing to tinker a bit ... and that,
is never a bad thing!

--
Best regards,

Chris