Re: debian-5.0.3 on ThinkPad A21e : dude, where's my RAM ?

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 15:09, Ionreflex <ionreflex@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your inputs, I'll proceed with Xfce installation for now... if I
> end up with another choking slug, I'll come back to haunt you! :o)

As it has been said, just because linux reports more than half of
those 256MB doesn't mean it's actively *using* them, they're being
used as cache to avoid disc i/o (i think). Xfce - or any other light
wm (windowmaker, lxde, enlightenment) - is better for such a laptop
than gnome (good luck uninstalling it).

>From my free -m i get this:
Mem:          3934       3755        179          0        191       1703
-/+ buffers/cache:       1859       2074
Swap:         1906         50       1855

I doubt my computer's actually using almost 2GB (those 1859), and this
number is high because i have a whole bunch of stuff open[1] plus
services and daemons[2]. It's working like a charm and it would
probably make due with "just" 1GB, but it would probably use the disc
more often. My bottleneck's actually the processor.

HTH,
Nuno Magalhães

[1] grekllm, 1 netbeans project, 1 tab in opera, 1 tab in firefox,
audacious2, 1 tab in gedit, xchat, 3 filemanager windows, pidgin, 3
pdfs, 1 tab in pidgin, 1 terminal... :)
[2] mlnet, nginx, php and mysqld, plus the system usuals.

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail